Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the
- Performs phlebotomy duties: collects
blood samples by venipuncture, ensuring positive identification of clients
- Prepares blood and urine specimens for transport to the reference
laboratory; including specimen identification, labeling, centrifugation, and
- Follows-up on outstanding/overdue laboratory results;
requests corrective reports as needed
- Updates relative communicable
- Maintains phlebotomy area, including stocking and
routine cryogenic procedures including vial receipts and transfers.
- Performs daily quality control (QC) procedures including tank checks.
- Performs vial QC by verifying vial labels and number/type of vials.
- Assists Cryogenic staff with Client vial orders and specimen
Semen Specimen Processing (if
- Performs quantitative sperm counts by
- Determines volume, percent motility and total motile sperm
- Calculates potential number of vials per specimen
- Performs post-thaw analysis
- Provides back-up coverage for the reception
window as needed.
- Provides administrative support in the lab by
answering phones, taking messages as necessary, filing, faxing, copying,
scanning and entering data into applicable company databases.
collection instructions to clients, answers basic questions about services and
client preparation for services; responds to requests for laboratory
- Conducts and accurately records all required QC checks; takes
corrective action as needed.
- Performs routine cleaning of laboratory
equipment and send-out bench, removes of biohazard trash.
media into tubes using aseptic techniques.
- Assists with lab supply
ordering and maintenance.
- Communicates any errors, accidents or
incidents to the Branch/Laboratory Manager or CLS.
- Participates in
proficiency and competency assessments, trainings and other essential laboratory
- Participates in the review of standard operating
- Other duties and projects as required.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma
or equivalent minimum, with some college coursework preferred, and California
CPT I/II required with two or more years of phlebotomy and customer service
experience. Previous laboratory experience is desirable.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer
service skills; high level of interpersonal skills to interact with peers and
- Strong attention to detail in composing, typing and
proofing materials; excellent organizational skills; ability to handle multiple
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel required. Basic
knowledge of PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Access desirable; must be comfortable
learning new information systems and programs.