Open Donor Program
California Cryobank is pleased to announce we are now offering an Open Donor Program. The CCB Open Donor Program was established to provide offspring when they reach age 18 with the opportunity to contact their donor and learn more about his or her biological heritage. CCB Open Donors agree to have at least one contact with the child when they turn 18. CCB will facilitate the first contact in order to protect the donor and child.
The benefits of the CCB Open Donor Program are:
- Potential future contact between donor and offspring
- All CCB Donors are contacted for updates 2, 5, 10, 15, and 20 years after retirement
- Limited collection and distribution of open donor vials
- Free registration in the CCB Sibling Registry
How it works:
- At the beginning of his participation in the program, the CCB Open Donor signs an agreement indicating his willingness to communicate a minimum of one time with the child once he/she reaches 18 (or older).
- The offspring must contact CCB in writing to request contact with his or her donor. CCB will request identifying information such as the donor number and parent's name, as well as any other information necessary to perform internal research and confirm the identity of the child and recipient.
- After all information is verified, CCB will contact the donor informing him of the request. The donor will then decide how he wants to contact the offspring and CCB will facilitate this process.
- Contact may include, but is not limited to, the following: email, written letter, telephone conversation or meeting in person. The form and extent of this communication will be determined by mutual agreement between the donor and the child.
- After the initial contact, the donor is not obligated to any additional communication, but the donor and the child can continue communication if they wish. The degree and level of this communication is determined by mutual agreement between the donor and the child.
- A request for contact with the donor can be made only by the child. The child must be at least 18 years old to request contact.
- At the beginning of his participation in the program, CCB Open Donors agree to have at least one contact with any child born of his donation. CCB will facilitate the contact and we will make every attempt to make the contact a meaningful one. However, there may be a situation where a contact between the donor and offspring cannot be established.
CCB Open Donor fees are higher than Conventional Donors. For more information on CCB Open Donors please see our Open Donor FAQs, call our Client Services Department at 866-927-9622, or send an email.