Density Gradient Processing
California Cryobank uses density gradient processing to prepare IUI ready donor specimens. While more costly and time consuming, density gradient processing is superior to other methods.
Density gradient processing:
- Removes cells that are associated with bacteria, viruses and infection. (1)
- Pre-selects sperm that have superior motility. (2)
- Pre-selects sperm with a lower incidence of DNA anomalies. (3)
- Removes seminal plasma, thus reducing post insemination cramping.
If you would like more information or have questions about the density gradient processing method, please call our laboratory manager at (310) 443-5244, x1165.
(1) Hans Wolff. The biological significance of white blood cells in semen. Fert. & Ster. Vol. 63, No. 6, June 1995.
(2) Smith, S. et al. Use of postpreparation sperm parameters to determine the method of choice for assisted reproductive technology. Fert. & Ster. 1995; 63:591-597.
(3) Sakkas et al. The use of two dense degraded centrifugation techniques and swim-up sperm separation to separate spermatazoa with chromatin and nuclear DNA anomalies. Human Reprod. In press.