California Cryobank is pleased to provide Anonymous, Open, and ID Disclosure sperm donors to fit your family’s needs. Please review the descriptions below to help choose your ideal donor.
Anonymous Donors have not agreed to any contact with offspring, but have not ruled out possible anonymous interaction in the future.
Upon reaching the age of 18, any offspring may request additional information about his or her donor. Cryobank will make all reasonable efforts to supply this information either from our records or by attempting to contact the donor on the offspring’s behalf. Neither a parent/recipient, nor donor may initiate any contact.
Upon reaching the age of 18, any offspring may also request that Cryobank attempt to facilitate contact between themselves and their donor.
Anonymous Donor Contact Guidelines:
- The request should be made in writing and include the donor number, parent's name, and possibly other necessary information to confirm the identity of the offspring and parent/recipient.
- Cryobank will contact the donor informing him of the request. The donor will then decide if he agrees to allow Cryobank to initiate anonymous contact with the offspring.
- Contact may include email, written letter, or telephone conversation. The form of contact will be determined by mutual agreement between the donor and offspring.
- Additional communication is possible if mutually agreed upon by the donor and offspring. Cryobank will continue to moderate all contact until either party opts to discontinue or both parties agree to direct interaction.
While we are NOT opposed in principle to breaking anonymity between the donor and the donor-conceived adult, it must be by mutual consent of both parties. We are obligated by mutual agreements to maintain the anonymity and privacy of the donor, offspring, and parent/recipient.
Learn more about our Anonymous Donor Contact Policy
Open Donors have agreed to a minimum of one communication with any offspring once he or she turns 18.
Open Donor Contact Guidelines:
- This contact remains anonymous and would be facilitated by Cryobank. Contact may include, but is not limited to: email, written letter, telephone conversation or in-person meeting. The form and extent of this communication will be determined by mutual agreement between the donor and the offspring.
- The donor-conceived adult should submit a contact request in writing to Cryobank including the donor number and parent's name, as well as any other necessary information to confirm the identity of the offspring and parent/recipient. A request for contact may only be made by the offspring. Neither a parent/recipient, nor donor may initiate any contact.
- After all information is verified, Cryobank will contact the donor informing him of the request.
- After the initial contact, the donor is not obligated to additional communication, but the donor and the offspring can continue communication if they wish. The degree and level of this communication is determined by mutual agreement between the donor and the offspring.
We strive to make every donor/offspring contact a meaningful one. However, there may be situations outside of our control that prevent donor/offspring contact from occurring.
View our Open Donor FAQs
ID Disclosure Donors
ID Disclosure Donors have agreed to allow California Cryobank to release their identifying information to any offspring once they turn 18. This information may include: donor's full name, donation location, last known address, or email.
ID Disclosure Guidelines
Requests for ID Disclosure Donor contact will follow Cryobank’s Open Donor Contact Guidelines (see above). In addition:
- Offspring will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement to not publicly share any of the donor’s identifying/contact information with other offspring, on message boards, social media, etc. Refusal to sign the agreement will prevent Cryobank from disclosing the donor information.
- Donors will be notified of the information request and given 30 days to respond to Cryobank. If the donor does not respond within 30 days, the identifying information will be provided to the offspring.
- Donor may request an initial anonymous contact facilitated through Cryobank prior to his information being released.
California Cryobank reserves the right to deny access to the donor’s identifying information if the offspring does not agree to the program guidelines as stated.
Regardless of donor type, all Cryobank donors are contacted for periodic updates after retirement from our program.
Please see our Pricing page for the vial prices for Anonymous, Open, and ID Disclosure Donors.